UNITED NATIONS, April 19 :(Xinhua) — The UN Security Council on Monday condemned the killing of a UN peacekeeper from Morocco in the Central African Republic (CAR), calling on the CAR government to “investigate this attack and hold the perpetrators to account.”
The peacekeeper from the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) was killed by unknown gunmen on Sunday in the town of Rafai in Mbomou prefecture in the CAR.
“The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms all attacks and provocations against MINUSCA by armed groups,” said a statement issued by the 15-nation UN body.
“They reiterated that attacks against peacekeepers may constitute war crimes and reminded all parties of their obligations under international humanitarian law,” the statement said.
They expressed their deepest condolences and sympathy to the family of the peacekeeper killed and to the Kingdom of Morocco, and to MINUSCA, said the statement. They reiterated their full support for MINUSCA to assist the CAR’s newly-elected government, which bears the primary responsibility to protect its population, and for the people of the CAR in their efforts to bring lasting peace and stability to their country under relevant Security Council resolutions, the statement added.
Earlier on Monday, UN chief Ban Ki-moon condemned the killing of the UN peacekeeper in the CAR, saying that attack is “unacceptable” and the perpetrators must be brought to justice.
The CAR has recently witnessed an upsurge in violence in Bangui, the country’s capital, leaving more than 30 people dead and over 100 wounded, with thousands more fleeing their homes. MINUSCA was set up in April 2014 to help bring peace in the country after a breakdown of governmental authority and vicious intercommunal fighting.