KATHMANDU, April 1: At least 27 people have lost their lives and over 600 people have been injured as a massive wind storm hit Bara and Parsa districts in southern Nepal on Sunday night.
26 were killed in Bara district while one in Parsa district, according to District Police Office, Bara. Theta rural municipality of Bara district saw the highest number of human casualties. The disaster also caused loss of lives and damaged properties in Telkuwa, Simangadh, Basini, Bhaluhi, Hardiya, Pashurampur and Dharmanagar of Bara and Parsa, informed Hem Bahadur Shahi, Bara police spokesperson, said RSS.
The massive wind storm swept through the farming region of Bara and Parsa at the speed of 80 kilometers per hour, according to the Department of Hydrology and Meteorology. The wind, known as gale, is probably the first to hit Nepal, reported Republica.
Rescue teams from Nepal Police, the Army and the Armed Police Force had been deployed overnight. The rescue operation is still underway and more details on the disaster are yet to be reported, police said.
A 35-member team comprising of doctors and health workers from Chitwan Medical College are being dispatched to the affected districts, said Chitwan district administration office.
Homework is underway to send health workers’ team from other hospitals is also underway, said chief district officer Jitendra Basnet.
Likewise, a blood donation program has been organized at Bharatpur to supply blood to those injured in the disaster.
Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli has expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives and properties in Bara and Parsa due to strong winds last night.
The Prime Minister set out to the disaster-hit area via Nepal Army’s helicopter to monitor the undergoing relief and rescue works at 10.30 this morning, according to Chetan Adhikari, PM’s press coordinator.
Meanwhile, Home Minister Ram Bahadur Thapa has expressed over the natural disaster causing human casualties and loss of properties.
He shared that security personnel have been mobilized in the disaster-hit area for rescue and relief immediately after the incident.
Earlier today, Minister Thapa had directed his subordinate agencies to not leave any stone unturned to carry out relief, rescue and treatment efforts in the area.
The Home Minister expressed tribute to those killed in the disaster and also wished for the speedy recovery of the injured.
The State-2 Council of Ministers, expressing profound sorrow over the big loss of lives and properties incurred in Bara and Parsa due to storm last night, has decided to offer a relief package of Rs 300,000 each to the survivors’ families.
The State government has also decided to bear all the expenses incurred during treatment of the recent disaster-injured people and also take initiative for residential arrangement for those losing home.
“We will immediately provide relief of Rs 300,000 each to the families of the deceased. The state government would bear all the expenses incurred in course of the treatment of the injured,” Chief Minister of State-2, Lalbabu Raut said.