Dec 16 gang-rape accused wanted to kill victim: Prosecution


New Delhi, Aug 24 (IANS) The Delhi police Saturday, during final arguments in the Dec 16, 2012 gangrape case, told a city court that the accused had a clear intention to kill the victim so that no witness of the horrific incident was left behind.

Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan told Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna that the intestine of the gangrape victim was so damaged that it was “impossible for her to survive”.

He said the accused also tried to kill the gangrape victim’s male friend, who was also present in the bus with her.

Krishnan said the woman and her friend were dragged with their hair from the rear of the bus to the front and thrown out of the moving vehicle.

The prosecution added: “Later they tried to crush them under the wheels, but it was their fate which kept them alive. The modus operandi of the accused shows their conduct, that they were on roads to satisfy their lust.”

The intestine of the 23-year-old intern physiotherapist was damaged with an iron rod, which left her bleeding profusely and resulted in her death, Krishnan added.

“The victim’s (girl) intestine was so damaged that it was impossible for her to survive. The system on which the human body works was completely destroyed by the accused persons by using blunt object (the rods),” he said.

“The injuries were caused deliberately with an intention to eliminate the victims (the girl and her male friend), with a clear intention to murder them.”

He also told the court that all the six accused had attacked the victim’s male friend with the intention to kill him.

Krishnan added: “There cannot be a clear case than this. They wanted to kill both the victim and her friend by trying to run the bus over them. The accused had the clear intention to eliminate them so that there will be no victim to tell the story of the Dec 16 horrific night.”

Accused Ram Singh (who is dead)), his brother Mukesh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur, Pawan Gupta and a juvenile are accused in the case.

The woman succumbed to her injuries Dec 29, 2012 while undergoing treatment in a

Singapore hospital.

The juvenile is facing proceedings before a Juvenile Justice Board, while the four other accused are standing trial in the fast-track court. Accused Ram Singh allegedly committed suicide in Tihar Jail, where he was lodged.

The Juvenile Justice Board is likely to pronounce the order Aug 31.