KATHMANDU, Aug 15: Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs, Krishna Bahadur Mahara and the visiting Vice Premier of the State Council of the People’s Republic of China, Wang Yang, jointly inaugurated the reconstruction project of the palace amidst a function on Tuesday.
The reconstruction effort was undertaken with economic and technical support from the Chinese government.
The reconstruction of the historic nine-storey palace at the Hanuman Dhoka Durbar Square – a world heritage site – has been launched two years after the massive earthquake inflicted considerable damages on its structure.
Minister for Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, Jitendra Narayan Dev, said the reconstruction of the historic nine – storey palace at Basantapur and seven – storey palace in Nuwakot was being undertaken by the Chinese government.
On the occasion, China’s Deputy Minister of Commerce and Deputy International Trade Representative expressed joy at the opportunity to reconstruct the historic heritages.
The Chinese government will complete the reconstruction of the nine-storey palace in five years at a cost of Rs 150 million, Archaeology Department’s Director General Bhesh Narayan Dahal said.
He added that an agreement had been reached to undertake the reconstruction of the Aagan Chen at Hanumandhoka Durbar Square and the Degu Taleju temple at Patan Durbar Square with support of the Japanese government.