CO poisoning kills father‚ daughter in Kathmandu

KATHMANDU, March 29: Tilak Prasad Dahal, 50, and his 19-year-old daughter Poonam were found dead and his wife Rama Devi, 45, unconscious in their rented room in Gothatar today.

The house owner and locals had called police after Dahal family did not open the door till 8am despite repeated knocks on the door and telephone calls. When police smashed the door open, the two were found dead and one in unconscious state.

Citing circumstantial evidences, investigators said no foul play is suspected in their death. They said the father and daughter could have died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Dahal family of Mirge-8, Dolakha, gone to bed with bhuse chulho (rice husk stove) burning after cooking last night’s dinners. A police official who inspected the incident site said, “The poorly ventilated room was enveloped with smoke billowing from the stove when we entered there. The family might have left the stove burning to warm themselves up.” The door and window of the room of the mud house belonging to Ambika Budhathoki were closed.

Police had rescued Rama Devi in unconscious state and rushed her to Civil Service Hospital which later referred her to KMC Hospital, Sinamangal, for further treatment. The bodies of man and his daughter have been sent to TU Teaching Hospital for post-mortem. The family used to sell roasted corn in Gothatar area.

With this, the number of deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning in Kathmandu has reached eight in the past four months. The post-mortem report confirmed that they had died of carbon monoxide poisoning, a colourless, odourless and tasteless toxic gas. It is non-irritating in the beginning and very difficult to sense any potentially danger for persons who are exposed to it. Deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning are reported in Kathmandu every year, especially during the winter season. According to doctors, if a heating source is kept on for a long time in a poorly ventilated room, it may lead to hypoxia and a person may die or fall unconscious due to CO poisoning.

Past deaths|

• On December 10, Rubina Magar, 21, of Bajhang and her nine-day-old daughter were found dead in their rented room in Lazimpat

• On January 27, Jacqueline Ong, 18, who was among two Malaysians found unconscious at a house in Bhainsepati, Lalitpur, died while undergoing treatment at Norvic International Hospital.

• On February 23, Rajan Basnet, 25, a Nepali Army soldier, his wife Kabita and their seven-month-old daughter were found dead in their rented room in Birendra Chowk, Kandaghar