More than 45 lakh Nepalis went abroad for foreign employment till 2019 mid-June: Report
More than five lakh Nepalis go abroad seeking foreign employment every year, according to a report recently released by National Human Rights Commission.
The number of Nepali migrant workers surged from 3,605 to 5,19,638 from the the fiscal year 1993/94 (2050/51 BS) to 2013/14 (2070/71 BS). Till mid-June 2019 (2076 Jestha 30), a total of 45,99,567 Nepalis were allowed work permit for foreign employment, the report states. Of them, 2,18,273 are women workers.
Of the total migrant workers, 96 percent has gone to Gulf Countries (the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar and Kuwait) and Malaysia while remaining 4 percent went to other countries.
According to Foreign Employment Department, till mid-June 2019, 12,67,745 Nepali migrant workers went to Qatar. Of them, 12,48,491 are men and 19,254 are women. Likewise, 13,20,989 (12,90,924 men and 30,065 women) went to Malaysia; 9,22,259 (9,13,938 men and 8,321 women) went to Saudi Arabia; 6,28,921 (5,69,795 men and 59,126 women) went to United Arab Emirates; 1,56,262 (1,13,585 men and 42,677 women) went to Kuwait; 56,111 (51,666 men and 4,445 women) went to Bahrain; 37,706 (31,989 men and 5,717 woment) went to Oman; 62,304 (58,593 men and 3,711 women) went to South Korea; 12,773 (1,231 men and 11,542 women) went to Lebanon; 6,851 (2,323 men and 4,492 women) went to Israel; 13,638 (13,586 men and 52 women) went to Afghanistan; 19,278 (18,272 men and 1,006 women) went to Japan; and 94,766 (66,901 men and 27,865 women) went to other countries.
Likewise, Only 1 percent of the migrant workers are well-qualified, according to the report. 14 percent are qualified, 12 percent are semi-qualified and 74 percent are not qualified.
Similarly, 90 percent of the migrant workers went to work in the foreign countries through man power companies and 10 percent via personal work permit.
Over 400 Nepali migrant workers returned home in coffin in 2018/19
Nepali migrant workers sent home 8.1 billion dollars in 2018: World Bank
Nepal government has banned Nepali migrant workers from working in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria. The government allows work permit to the following countries only:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Great Britain
- Holy See
- Hong Kong
- Laos PDR
- New Zealand
- Republic of Korea
- Republic of Slovak
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- The Philippines
- United Arab Emirates
- United States (America)
Nepali workers does not need work permit to work in India.
Moreover, According to Migration and Development Brief by World Bank released on April this year, Nepal is the 19th largest receiver of remittance around the world and fourth largest in South Asia—with Nepali migrant workers sending home $8.1 billion.Nepal is also among the top five recipient smaller economies along with Tonga, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Haiti.